Friday, July 8, 2016

Fitness Tool Friday: The BOSU

For this weeks post on Fitness Floor Friday I will go over the BOSU.

The BOSU was designed by David Weck in 1999 and is an acronym that means "Both Sides Up"[1].  It is a fitness tool that is similar to a Stability Ball but one half of it is flat to offer more stability.  This may be beneficial if you want to use lower body exercises to stand or step on while offering instability.

Regarding personal use, I use the BOSU either for Core exercises or as a Squat "Finisher."  For training the core I use a four exercise circuit that includes the (1) Abdominal Crunch, (2) Side Lying Crunch on each side, (3) Back Extension and (4) Seated Abdominal Rotations.  When I use it for legs I will do squats or 1.25 squats at a slow, consistent, and constant tempo done for time at the end of a leg workout.

When I use it for clients I do both the above exercise examples.  In addition I use Hip Raises and Push Ups with the flat side up.

In the future I will have video examples of some of the above BOSU exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment